BioBuilders 6-7-8 provides small groups of middle school students with an introduction to the BioBuilder curriculum and an opportunity to pursue a team project in biodesign.
This program runs during the school year.
What's included? Five (5) hours of live instruction, four hours (4) of guided project team collaboration, biodesign assignments, reference materials, feedback on assignments and projects from BioBuilder Teaching Fellows, and a Project Showcase.
- Class 1: What is synthetic biology?
- Class 2: Introduction to biodesign projects
- Class 3: Re-engineering smell
- Class 4: Biodesign team session #1
- Class 5: Engineering living systems
- Class 6: Biodesign team session #2
- Class 7: Standard biological parts
- Class 8: Building a Color generator
- Class 9: Biodesign team session #3/Presentation recording
- Project Showcase
**NOTE: This course requires a minimum of 12 students to run given the team-based projects.**
The program serves people at their homes or wherever it is needed or online.
- No transportation provided.
- Club/Pod (3 - 10 students) = $600.00
- Classroom (11 - 25 students) = $1250.00
- Educator Observer = $50.00 (Access for an educator to observe the course and materials - no student access will be granted)
- Financial Aid and/or Scholarship Available
- Free for some residents
Through a grant from the City of Cambridge, BioBuilder is able to provide this program at NO COST for up to 4 groups (Club/Pod or Classroom) from Cambridge schools this academic year.
**We are also committed to making our life-changing curriculum accessible for all students. We are offering BioBuilders 6-7-8 at NO COST to those schools where 50% or more of the student population is eligible for free lunch (as reported on https://www.publicschoolreview.com/).**
No application or registration needed.
- Sign-up is ongoing