BioBuilder Idea Accelerator
BioBuilder’s Idea Accelerator is a dynamic science and engineering curriculum and experiential learning series for high school students.
This is an ongoing program.
The Idea Accelerator will be offered throughout the 2020-2021 academic year. Dates for upcoming sessions are as follows:
- September 28, 2020
- October 26, 2020
- November 20, 2020
- January 25, 2021
- February 22, 2021
- March 22, 2021
- April 26, 2021
Created to accommodate virtual, in-person, and hybrid classroom models, BioBuilder can now provide science students, their teachers, and their parents with the online resources they need for a successful academic year.
The Idea Accelerator is our introductory program, helping teams of students get started on the design of new biotechnologies that can make the world a better place.
During the three-week program, students gain access to:
- Five (5) hours of asynchronous lectures in synthetic biology from Dr. Natalie Kuldell, MIT Senior Lecturer in Biological Engineering and BioBuilder’s Founder and Executive Director;
- Complete chapters from BioBuilder’s textbook for pre- and post-lecture readings, as well as new design assignments, and additional reference materials;
- Personalized feedback on assignments, project ideas and the design process from practicing bioengineers and BioBuilder teaching assistants;
- Real-time guidance on student ideas by STEM professionals during three (3) live Office Hours sessions; and
- A Project Showcase, in which student teams present their biotechnology ideas through pre-recorded video or audio presentations.
For more information and to register, visit https://bit.ly/BBIdeaAccelerator
The program serves people at their homes or wherever it is needed or online.
- No transportation provided.
- Club/Pod (3 - 10 students) = $500.00
- Classroom (11 - 25 students) = $1000.00
- Educator Observer = $50.00 (Access for an educator to observe the course and materials - no student access will be granted)
- Financial Aid and/or Scholarship Available
- Free for some residents
Through a grant from the City of Cambridge, BioBuilder is able to provide this program at NO COST for up to 10 groups (Club/Pod or Classroom) from Cambridge schools this academic year.
**We are also committed to making our life-changing curriculum accessible for all students. We are offering the Idea Accelerator at NO COST to those schools where 50% or more of the student population is eligible for free lunch (as reported on https://www.publicschoolreview.com/).**
- Sign-up is ongoing
Registration for the September 28th cohort closes on Thursday, Sept 24th.