Deliver Groceries for Somerville-Cambridge Elder Services!
Seeking volunteers to deliver groceries to neighbors in Somerville and Cambridge on the first Tuesday morning of each month!
This is an ongoing program.
First Tuesday of each month, 8 am to noon; deliveries take about 2.5 to 3 hours
Ages: 18 and Adults.
- Volunteer application
- CORI background check
- COVID-19 vaccination and 1st booster
- RMV check for volunteers who drive regularly
- Sign-up is ongoing
- In-person only.
191 Highland Avenue
Somerville, MA 02143
Drivers depart from the Center for Arts at the Armory in Somerville and make deliveries to routes in Cambridge and Somerville.
Center for Arts at the Armory has a ramp at the entrance and we use the first floor event hall, but many of the delivery locations may have stairs.
- The Greater Boston Food bank provides our Commodity Supplemental Food Program groceries.
- Volunteers drive their own car to delivery heavy grocery boxes in Cambridge and Somerville.
- Shelf-stable grocery boxes weigh about 28 lb.s each, plus the Greater Boston Food Bank adds 2 fresh fruit and veg items.
- Delivery shifts depart between 8:30 am and 9:30 am.
- Drivers may collaborate with a runner to help make deliveries.
- Not recommended for people with a history of back pain or with restrictions on lifting.
- This is a US Department of Agriculture program
- We need your help to bring these staple food items to older adults in our community!
Program continues to run during February vacation and April vacation.